Everyone knows that you can install applications on an iPhone or iPad exclusively through the Apple store. Other options are only associated with jailbreak or wild crutches.
There is another completely legal option – signing and installing programs through Xcode. This is how application developers can test their games or programs on the iPhone.
AltStore simulates the work of Xcode and iOS will think that you are a developer testing your utilities on a smartphone. This method allows you to install almost any programs and games bypassing the App Store with few restrictions.
The utility is used in some of the instructions for installing the jailbreak, but it is needed exclusively to download programs on the iPhone, which in turn make the system jailbreak.
In the latest update of the utility, support for iOS 14 appeared.
Why you need AltStore?
This service allows you to install on your smartphone almost any application that, for some reason, is not in the App Store. The installed program or game must have support for the current version of iOS, but in most cases it will even be possible to launch applications that were abandoned in the days of iOS 9-10.
So you can download on the iPhone, for example, the iTransmission torrent to download any files from the network without using a computer. Those who want to record phone conversations can download Call Recorder or its analogue Audio Recorder.
You can, if you wish, install on your iPhone your old favorite game that is no longer in the Apple store like Flappy Bird, Colin McRae Rally, Contra, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Dead Space, Plants vs Zombie without donation, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within or even legendary Heroes …
All this works stably and clearly even on the most current version of iOS.
How to install AltStore on iPhone
The procedure is quite simple and safe.
- Download AltServer for macOS or Windows from the utility’s official site.
- Install the application on Windows or move it to the Applications folder on macOS.
- After starting the utility on your computer, you will see an icon in the status bar or menu bar.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a cable, unlock your smartphone, and issue a trusted authorization if necessary.
- In iTunes or Finder (macOS Catalina and later), allow Wi-Fi to connect to iPhone, this will come in handy later.
- For the initial installation, you will need to install a special plug-in for the macOS mail client (installation instructions and a link are on the developers website).
- In the application menu on the computer, select the Install AltStore section and select the connected smartphone.
- Enter the Apple ID and password for your Apple account.
Don’t worry, the data is not sent anywhere and is used solely to sign the installed application on the iPhone. In any case, two-factor authentication is used to protect the account. You can even create a new Apple ID account in order to definitely sleep peacefully after the performed manipulations.
- After a couple of minutes, you will see a new icon on the iPhone desktop.
- On your smartphone, go to Settings – General – Device Management, here you will see the certificate of your Apple ID account. Give it trusted permissions to run the application.
- Open the program and wait until the required data is loaded.
Everything! You have just installed an alternative app installer on your smartphone that allows you to deploy any * .ipa file to your iPhone. To solve your problems, check out the FAQ on the developers website.
What to do next
All that remains to be done is to find the required program in ipa format and download it to the iPhone. The installation file will be saved in the Files application, and through the Share menu it will be possible to transfer it to AltStore. The utility will independently install the application.
There are certain restrictions on the installed programs.
- First, you can only install apps with the same Apple ID on one device at a time. When installing programs on another device, the applications on the first one will stop working.
- Secondly, there is a limit on installing only two applications via AltStore. To install the third, you will have to remove the first or the second.
- Thirdly, the certificate is valid for only 7 days, after which the programs will need to be re-signed.
However, there is nothing wrong with that. AltStore can independently re-sign applications without the need to connect a smartphone to a computer.
For this, he needs our Apple ID / password. The utility can remind you to re-sign the program in a week, it is possible to create a quick command that will update the signature with one click or even display the widget on the desktop with the number of days until the certificate expires.
Developers of Apple mobile applications who have a valid certificate can install up to 10 applications, and there is no need to re-sign the programs every 7 days.
How to install Apps
- Download any ipa file to the iPhone. Can be found and downloaded directly in Safari, or transferred to your device via AirDrop.
- Using the Share menu, open the program in AltStore.
- We agree to install the application and wait a couple of minutes.
To install the program, the iPhone must be on the same network as the computer running AltServer. That is why we allowed connection to a smartphone via Wi-Fi.
All installed applications are removed in the standard way; for permanent removal, do not forget to clean the certificate along the Settings – General – Device Management path.